Registration deadline July 31, 2012.
The power of cricket is simply massive as witnessed through world cricket events and community events. It can transform people’s lives as it brings communities together through their passion for the sport. It builds teamwork by bringing in a sense of solidarity. It promo…tes team cohesion which has the capacity to change the perspective of whole communities and develop a sense of belonging. This six-a-side softball cricket tournament will embody this ideal and will focus more on the local ethnic communities and the cultural diversity that is present among them.
The purpose of this six-a-side cricket tournament is to bring together different cultures with a particular focus on different Sri Lankan ethnicities together in a non-formal way through a friendly tournament of cricket games to promote intercultural and interethnic experience and understanding through SLWB’s message of commitment to peace, solidarity and reconciliation.
Rules and Regulations for the game:
• A registration fee of $20 dollars per team upon registration.
• Team has to consist of at least one person of different Sri Lankan ethnicity (mandatory).
• Team has to consist of both genders with a minimum of one female member.
• Maximum of two reserved players are allowed.
• Six overs per side.
• Batsman/batswoman can score a maximum of 25 runs per person and the player may retire giving the opportunity to another member of the team. If all wickets have fallen, the retired player may come back to finish the remainder of the overs.
• At least 5 members of the team have to bowl. One member may bowl 2 overs and it is mandatory that the female member bowl.
• Regular cricket rules apply.
• Non-offensive team names – Team names are at the discretion of the six-a-side teams. However, team names deemed vulgar, offensive or derogatory to an individual or an organization may not be registered. The six-a-side committee members have the right to request a team name change should it be deemed that the name is inappropriate.
• Each team has to provide two members for umpire duties.
• Each winning team will get 2 points. In the event of a tie, each team will get 1 point.
• First 8 teams with highest points will advance to the playoffs. In the event of a tie, a winner will be determined by taking in to account the total score for each team in the group matches. The highest score will be the tie-breaker.
• 4 People have to be there between 8:30AM & 9:00AM for registration. If not, team automatically forfeits there first game.
• For each match both teams need 4 players present to do the toss. If 10 mins pass after the toss and the entire team is not present the game is forfeited and points are appointed to the other team if all playing 6 are present.
• Any violation of the six a side tournament rules and/or park rules would automatically disqualify the team from the entire tournament with no refund.
• The deadline for any cancelation with a full refund is 24 July 2012.
• By registering your team, all team members are agreeing to abide by the rules set forth before you.
• Any injuries sustained during a game is not the responsibility of SLWB or the tournament organizers. We will not be held accountable or liable for any injuries. However, we will provide basic first aid.
We welcome everyone to take part in this tournament – don’t forget to register your team by July 31, 2012.